BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Facebook....friend or foe?

Has anyone noticed that facebook has been in the news a lot lately? I have been reading several articles about the use of facebook an why it appears in the news so much. Here is the conclusion I have come up with, people are using it for the wrong reasons. I wish facebook would go back to what it used to be, back to when you had to be a college student to use it. When I was in high school I could not have facebook because you had to have a college e-mail. Now anyone can be on it and I think that gives people too much access. What I mean by that is, the whole world can see you, your friends, what you write, and anything you are willing to give out. I am not that person who updates my status every two seconds, puts up every picture I ever owned, and all that. I am not against that by any means, that's just not who I am. When reading these articles I have realized that people forget that lots of people are on facebook and they do read what you have to say. The first thing I saw was a video made me say out loud, "are you stupid?" An Israeli soldier is in trouble after leaking plans on Facebook for an upcoming raid. This just blows my mind because people just don't think before they do things. Now don't get me wrong I think facebook is a great way for soldiers to stay connected with family back home, but lets use our head. The second article I read was about a former Florida high school student who was suspended by her principal after she set up a Facebook page to criticize her teacher. Now this is also crossing a line. I want to become a teacher and I know not all my students are going to like me, but it's one thing to know this and another to see it broad casted on facebook. The students was suspended for making this page but the school soon found that she had right to express herself on a social networking page. Since she made this page at home there really wasn't much they could do about it. That is nonsense to me. Here is my question to all of you. Is facebook giving kids too much access? I think if facebook would go back to what it was originally for, then I wouldn't have to worry about my 13 year old cousin being on there. I wouldn't have employers and my parents looking at my page. I have nothing to hide on my page but why does the whole world have to be one facebook. I know there is nothing I can do about it now but I think facebook is expanding more than we ever thought it would. People need to think before they post.....simple as that.

0 comments: