BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, February 25, 2010

What happened to rasing your hand in class?

The clicker system is called Personal Response System. Personal response is not something this device does in my opinion. I would much rather have my professor know my name rather than knowing me by my clicker number. I found an article at UNL about the use of clickers on their campus. UNL did a two semester trial run with the clickers and it was successful. 20 Lecture halls were made fully equip for clickers. The cost was 2,000 for each building...you do the math. Each student were to buy a non refundable clicker for $30. Many professors got on a waiting list to use the classrooms made for clickers because it was a hit at UNL. I think this works for UNL but not UNK. The size difference plays a role here. UNL has many more lecture halls then we do and their attendance is a lot more than us. That's okay because our campus focuses on the small classroom with personal contact. There are days I want to be a number in the back of a classroom but not always. I am not the loudest in my classes but I think if I had a clicker I would never talk. Technology is taking away a lot of personal contact and I think we are all falling into that trap. It's easier for a professor to take grades from a clicker. This is because you click in with your number and it automatically records in the grade book. I know this helps encourage students to participate because points are on the line but I want the normal lecture class to earn my points.Another thing I want to point out is our campus is making budget cuts left and right...how would we pay for this? Professors are asked not to print off things for students to save paper. Matt and I noticed today that Thomas Hall has new classroom numbers and office number boards outside each classroom. I don't understand the budget cuts and I don't even want to get into that one, but I think we need to think about the clicker issue seriously before we make this campus wide. Clickers are not needed campus wide at UNK, I just want to raise my hand.

Here is a link to the users guide book on PRS.

0 comments: