BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Jail Tour

Yesterday my mother and I went on a jail tour. I wanted to go because in class we talked about individual showers and I wanted to see if this was true. Yes it is very true. But there is reason behind it and other things have been taken away. Prisoners no longer have contact with their visitors or the judge. It's basically like Skype. Each cell has two people in it and a shower. But what I am thinking is, the water is probably turned on for a small amount of time and that's it. There is no cafeteria, all prisoners eat in their pod. The only time they leave the pod is to exercise. The exercise area is no longer outside, its a small room with two windows. The officers said inmates just walk in circles. The jail is only half done but they will be using the new one in March. The officer told us that UNK students will be coming in this next week as pretend inmates. Officers will practice using the booking area, the pods, and serving meals. There are at least 100 students signed up. That would be interesting but I wouldn't want to do that. It was an interesting Saturday afternoon and I learned a lot about the purpose behind this jail. Safety is a huge issue so inmates hardly leave their cells. The officer said during the weekends they tend to fill up.....I wonder why.

2 comments:

Britt said...

Yikes! The inmates are gonna walk in circles like Hannibal the cannibal? That is super creepy!

Ralph Hanson said...

What? You went and actually looked at the jail? Radical, Chuck.