BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Clickers in the Classroom

Having clickers in the classroom is new to most students. I used one in a biology class here at UNK and it was fine for that class. That was a large lecture hall and it would be hard to have everyone participate equally. Now all of my classes are under 20 students and it would be ridiculous for us to get out our clickers to take attendance or take a quiz. I found a video of elementary and high school students using them, and I found it to work quite well. The teacher made a point that all the students have to participate because if your number doesn't pop up on the screen then you get called on. Also this shows students who think the same way they do and this doesn't make them feel different. Also the teacher can adjust lessons due to the results of the clickers. Also those students who do not like to raise their hand can simply click in their answer. This video put clickers into a very good and helpful light. But in a college class (that is not a lecture hall) I don't see this working as well. I also think the subject being taught plays a role in this. Clickers in an English class just wouldn't work in my opinion. I don't think UNK should rewire all the buildings to be clicker friendly because not all classes would use them. Where is the personal contact? Technology is taking over the schools in a good and bad way. The next generation isn't going to be able to communicate with out their clicker....lets not go there.

0 comments: