BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, February 19, 2010

Technology Does Fail


I have been thinking about using clickers in the classroom and I just had a thought...what if technology fails? Technology can either be friend or foe and we all know we get frustrated with it. What if I am sitting in a clicker class and my clicker fails? I will tell the teacher; we will change the batteries; and we will try it again. By this time we have used 10 mins of class time. What if this happens to multiple students? I would be frustrated not only with my own clicker but others clickers as well. Technology in Thomas Hall is lacking on the fact that it does not work well. Last semester a teacher of mine would yell at the technology for at least 20 mins then finally give up.

After reading the article in The Antelope I now understand that UNK doesn't want each building have this technology. A professor just wants all the teachers to know how to use it in case they want to. This is mainly for large lecture halls or teachers who find it handy. I used one and it was frustrating at first. You are assigned a number and when you click in your number shows up on the screen. Now let me mind you that there are over 100 students doing the same....good luck finding your number. I am not against this technology by any means I just don't see it working out too well on UNKs campus. Our classes are too small to have a need for them. But who knows maybe UNK will becoming a clicking college.

1 comments:

Matt said...

This makes me think of when professors can't figure out how to use the projector and end up using half of class trying to turn it on. Those days are my favorite.