BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, May 1, 2010

The Lovely Bones


I watched the Lovely Bones last night and I was a little freaked out by it. I read the book when I was in high school and I don't remember it being this strange. In the movie the main character Susie gets murdered and then spends most of the movie trying to figure out how to get to heaven. It's was crazy because she was watching her family try to figure out the crime and also find her body. It was a very well thought out movie and the man who played Mr. Harvey was great. He was the killer so I probably shouldn't say he was great, but he was, in a creepy kind of way. Overall I liked the movie and I thought it did a great job of making it as close to the book as possible. I was watching it by myself and when I was done I had the creeped out feeling you have after watching something like this. Mr. Harvey did a lot of window watching from his house and trust me, I shut the curtains right away. I know that makes me sound like a baby but this story could really happen. Minus the part where we see Susie trying to figure out heaven and earth, this story happens all over the place. Towards the end of the movie we meet all the girls Mr. Harvey killed. They were all under the age of 14....that makes you think. This movie also makes you think about who your neighbors are. Mr. Harvey lived a couple of houses away. No one knew he did it until he was about to kill Susie's sister. This was definitely not a 'feel good' movie but I thought it was good. Different from most movies that come out and I like that.

I personally love the underlying meaning thought out the movie and the novel. You may think the lovely bones is her remains but really its her family. They are the lovely bones keeping her safe. I also like the charm bracelet analogy. Mr. Harvey keeps one charm, the house. He keeps it because he builds doll houses but its also a clue. Susie is in his house the whole time and no one knows it. Once you figure out all the underlying messages, the story becomes more real.

0 comments: